Last night, the Center for Fiction hosted a reading of Gregor von Rezzori’s An Ermine in Czernopol. The evening was in honor of the recent release of the new English translation. Rezzori’s widow, Beatrice Monte della Corte, gave the opening remarks. She was such a riot with a quick wit. She commented that she thought the new translation was fantastic. Debbie and Wally (as they so casually referred to each other) read excerpts from this hilarious novel.
Some people from the New York Review of Books were also there. They have been doing a wonderful job publishing quality translations of international books. The physical aesthetics of the books are quite lovely, too.
I snapped a few photos of the two reading, but most of them were obstructed by the back of Edmund White’s head. I resisted the temptation to whisper I loved Forgetting Elena into his ear.
After the reading, my friend and I moved to the back where we chatted and sipped free literary wine (meaning, out of plastic cups). Wallace Shawn was charming and silly. Deborah Eisenberg came over to us and chatted till the end of the evening. We asked her how she got to know Rezzori. Apparently, he was a fan of My Dinner with Andre and wanted to meet her boyfriend, Wallace Shawn. All is in the past but Deborah couldn’t stop singing the praise of the late Rezzori.
Thank you so much to Kris Merino and her fantastic blog, Intelligent Life. She was kind enough to honor me with this second award. Everyone should read her posts; they’re always insightful and she’s on a Universe trend lately which I LOVE! (read: beautiful photos of space, brainy words from physicists). The two rules of receiving this award are 1) name 6 blogs to pass this on to and 2) 10 facts you don’t know about me. There are so many great blogs that I read. I wish I could bequeath this to all of them!
In no particular order…
- Multo (Ghost)
- Books Without Any Pictures
- I Hate My Brain
10 facts…that’s a lot!
- Because I blog anonymously at Acid Free Pulp, some people assume that I’m a man but I’m not! Definitely a woman last time I checked.
- I’m double-jointed in my right arm and can turn it all the way around.
- I can never just read one book at a time. (I have a problem)
- I once saw a woman dressed as a pack of birth control dancing in the park Bollywood-style.
- My favorite pancake is the luxurious banana pancake.
- I don’t like monkeys…for real, get that chimpanzee away from me.
- I’ve been working on the first 50 pages of my novel for the past two years.
- I own multiple copies of Gravity’s Rainbow but have never read it.
- I see Wallace Shawn EVERYWHERE in NYC! It’s like he’s stalking me or something.
- I have to interview an author in February as part of a literary festival and am incredibly nervous because I’ve never done anything like this before.